Wednesday, July 20, 2016

CHEAP and EASY Toy Organizer!!

So I have no qualms about asking people for free things- especially if I get the sense that the item is going to be thrown out anyways. I was browsing at my local Walmart killing time when I noticed wooden shelving units in the garden center. Come to find out these are the units used for the succulents and cactus displays. There were 3 of them just sitting in the corner so I asked an Assistant Manager what the store does with them upon being emptied of the product.
**I think the key here is to find a manager who has decision making power**
He shared with me that if I were willing to make a donation to the Children's Miracle Network they would be happy to part with the shelves. So I ran home, found some cash and came back with my truck.

Upon unloading the shelving unit at home I searched in our basement to find some fun paint that I knew we would not be using anytime soon. This color was actually in a children's bathroom at our old house so it was perfect.

I painted 2 coats on the unit. I then measured the height between the bottom and middle shelves and ran to Lowes to find small bungee cords that would fit in the space without being too far stretched. The measurements are approximately 10 inches which the bungee cord was 8 inches.

I drilled small holes in the top of the middle shelf and bottom of the last shelf and then stretched the cords across the gap, spaced evenly- instant ball storage.

The only change I would re-do and could still do would be to buy some plastic shelf liners with durability. Some of our smaller chalk buckets are able to slip through the spaces between the wooden slats if not positioned perfectly.




No comments:

Post a Comment